What does washington state require for car insurance?

Washington state law requires that all drivers of cars and motorcycles have liability insurance and proof of auto insurance. Property damage liability usually doesn't cover damage to your car or motorcycle, which is why some drivers choose to add collision coverage to their policy as well. Contrary to what many people believe, liability insurance generally follows the vehicle in Washington, not the person. When buying car insurance in the state of Washington, your agent or broker must offer you the following two types of coverage.

An auto insurance policy typically has several types of protections or “coverages,” some mandatory and others optional. It also covers you and the members of your family that you include in your policy when you drive someone else's car or motorcycle (with their permission). This means that the person responsible for causing a car accident is also responsible for paying for damages. Washington (along with most other states) requires drivers to maintain a certain amount of liability insurance.

Like other states in the country, the state of Washington requires that all cars in circulation have liability coverage through auto insurance. Washington requires drivers to present proof of insurance at the request of a law enforcement agent. The minimum liability insurance required may not be sufficient to cover a serious car accident, leaving you personally responsible for the amount of damages that exceed your policy limits. Among other things, PIP pays for the treatment of injuries to the driver and others who ride in the car after an accident.

In other words, if you lend your car to someone and that person causes an accident, your liability insurance must pay for damages to the other driver and his passengers. This will reimburse you for losses due to theft or damage caused by something other than a collision with another car or object. Most insurers offer other types of coverage, which will likely increase your premium, so consider carefully what you'll need and talk to your insurance agent or broker.