Is comprehensive insurance required in washington state?

And if your vehicle is fully paid for, but has significant value, it's still wise to add it. For more information about this special type of insurance, contact your local Licensing Department office. In other words, if you lend your car to someone and that person causes an accident, your liability insurance must pay for damages to the other driver and his passengers. For those who aren't quite sure exactly what it means, “full coverage” is a general term for insurance that covers you, other drivers and your vehicles.

No-fault states are the exception, requiring each driver to use their own insurance to pay for medical expenses after an accident. The lender or landlord can also apply for collision, all-risk and collision insurance if your vehicle is financed. If you lease or finance your car, you may be required to have types of coverage that are not required under Washington law. Collision insurance covers repair or replacement costs if you have an accident, hit an object, or roll over your car.

In addition to car insurance, there are also other routes you can take to properly ensure that you are covered in the event of an accident. If you're at fault for a car accident, your liability insurance pays for repairs to the other driver's car and will likely cover the doctor's bills if you're injured. Your liability insurance never covers your own expenses, so you'll need collision insurance, personal injury protection (PIP), or MedPay to avoid paying out of pocket for an accident where you were at fault. However, regardless of the state, fault always determines who pays liability insurance for property damage.

Washington (along with most other states) requires drivers to maintain a certain amount of liability insurance. In exchange for a monthly premium, the insurance company undertakes to provide the coverage set out in the policy. Learn more about when to cancel optional coverage and penalties for driving without insurance in Washington to make sure you're paying for the coverage you need. If the damage to your vehicle was caused by something other than a collision, such as a natural disaster, acts of vandalism, falling objects or animals, it will most likely be covered by comprehensive insurance.

Your insurance company sends you a proof of insurance card when you start or renew your car or motorcycle policy.